Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Most Swedes are not racists. - Seeking positive thoughts after the elections.


When I was a child I was proud to hear that Sweden had not participated in the second world war. The rhetoric of Adolf Hitler had not managed to convince the Swedes to take part in this terrible war. The Swedes did not want to be part of the killing of Jews, handicapped, gypsies, homosexual people and other people that were part of the millions of people killed by the Nazism. The exact figure of murdered people is not even exactly known, but it should be between 50 and 70 million. Why did happen? Because a man called Adolf Hitler, who did not even have the internet, was extremely good at convincing people with words, body language and tone of the voice. Hitler wanted to protect the Aryan race and blamed the Jews for having killed Jesus. He involved the Italian politician Benito Mussolini, even though he was not neither blonde or blue eyed. Was Hitler afraid of people that were different from him or did he use them to get power?


Photo: flickr.com Molldo_2000
Sweden did not take part in the second world war. Some people keep criticizing the country for this, blaming the Prime Minister at the time, Per Albin Hansson for being a coward. All the countries that surrounded Sweden took part in the war but Sweden decided not to. It let the Germans use the railways but helped so many people in countries nearby such as Finland. I was proud of Sweden. I was proud of my superhero Raoul Wallenberg who saved more than 100.000 Jews and then disappeared, probably died....I still mourn him.


The wind is changing in the large country of Sweden. A party called Sverigedemokraterna (SD), lead by Jimmy Åkesson, is the third party in Sweden now after the elections on September 14th. They got almost 13% of the votes. This scares me. The result of the election below: Source: (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/09/sweden-elections-201491418172040998.html):

Social Democrats 31.2%
Moderate Party 23.2%
Sweden Democrats 12.9%
Green Party 6.8%
Centre Party 6.1%
Left Party 5.7%
Liberal Party 5.4%
Christian Democrats 4.6%
Voter turnout: 83.4%

I was proud of Sweden and I still am.  I am proud of all those Swedes that still use their own brain to understand. It shouldn't be so difficult to understand how you prefer to escape from a country such as Syria or Somalia. Would you really prefer to stay in your nation and die or escape and live? For me the answer is easy. I would prefer to live and hopefully help others to live as well. 

I have lived as an immigrant in Italy for over 30 years now and nobody has ever treated me badly. Nobody has ever looked at me with suspicion or hatred. Why should then the Swedes think differently about the immigrants in Sweden?

While Sweden welcomes our brothers and sisters from Syria, saving their lives, young Swedes immigrate to other countries, such as Norway. Take a look at this: 
(http://www.migrationsinfo.se/migration/sverige/). In times of famine a lot of Swedes went to live in the USA, which is very multicultural.

I am for democracy, Jimmy, and all the other guys at the Swedish party SD, but I am also for clear communication. I am inserting one of your speeches below. Everybody should be free to share the thoughts but yours scare me. 





Sweden is indeed different now than when I moved out. Most Swedes were blonde and blue eyed then, but there were some immigrants that had come to help us keeping up the work. They had black hair and some of them opened some very nice pizzerias. They also had a tough time, but were they better in your eyes because they were not Muslims? 

Jimmy & friends, I am proud to be part of the 87% that have not voted you. I am happy to say that I am not afraid of Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Christians, Hindu, Buddhists or anybody else. I like talking to people from different cultures and religions because knowledge and understanding makes me richer inside. I am not afraid of any religion or race.  I am sure that fear creates hatred, and what scares me is the hatred. I am one of many people and I regret not having been able to participate in the manifestations against racism that took place all over the country yesterday, September 15th 2014, in which thousands of people showed their opinion against racism.


This is an old blog in Swedish I wrote about my life as an immigrant. I think you can read it, Jimmy & friends, and let me know what you think. http://tankarihuvudet.blogspot.it/2013/09/jag-en-svensk-utlanning.html.

Annika





No comments:

Post a Comment